The following list of questions about supply chain characteristics can be used as a beginning benchmark of how well your company is progressing with supply chain management.
- We clearly understand the strengths and weaknesses of our current supply chain sub-processes and have developed action plans for improvement?
- We have defined our supply chain improvement objectives and have unwavering management commitment to achieve superior performance in our industry?
- Our Supply Chain system provides high quality, relevant and timely information flow that effectively supports decision-making for inventory replenishment, capacity activation and for synchronizing material flows at all tiers within the supply chain?
- Supply Chain process operational responsibilities are well-defined and personnel are thoroughly trained and cross-trained?
- Our supply chain does not operate on “push” technology rather it is based on “pull” to actual demand?
- We have dismantled organizational silos that resulted in cross-functional barriers to high velocity information and material flows?
- We continually pursue improving our supply chain processes by streamlining information and material flows to support short-cycle, synchronized and lower cost performance?
- Our trading partnerships are well-formulated and grounded in strategic supply chain alliance agreements?
- All organizations in our extended enterprise have been trained and developed to perform new roles which require fast, high quality decision-making and material flow?
- We continually review evolving logistical business models for their impact on distribution planning, movement of goods, cost, cycle time and customer service?
- We utilize E-commerce for selling, buying and business-to-business paperless transacting?
- Our information technology provides a system that truly mirrors what we want to do throughout the supply chain?
- Our supply chain has effective techniques for real-time planning, execution and control including the simulation of alternatives to support the short-cycle pull of material through the supply chain?
- We use performance measurements that encourage and reward behavior that improves supply chain performance?
- Our company has developed supply chain management to a core competency level?
Supply Chain Management: Plan to Succeed
by R. Michael Donovan
The CEO Refresher