Way to Play
- Are we clear about how we choose to create value in the marketplace?
- Are we investing in the capabilities that really matter to our way to play?
- Can we articulate the three to six capabilities that describe what we do uniquely better than anyone else?
- Have we defined how they work together in a system?
- Do our strategy documents reflect this?
- Do all our businesses draw on this superior capabilities system?
- Do our organizational structure and operating model support and leverage it?
- Does our performance management system reinforce it?
Product and Service Fit
- Have we specified our product and service “sweet spot”?
- Do we understand how to leverage the capabilities system in new or unexpected arenas?
- Do most of the products and services we sell fit with our capabilities system?
- Are new products and acquisitions evaluated on the basis of their fit with the way to play and the capabilities system?
Can We State It?
- Can everyone in the organization articulate our differentiating capabilities?
- Is our company’s leadership reinforcing these capabilities?
- Do we have a right to win in our chosen market?
- Do all of our decisions add to our coherence, or do some of them push us toward incoherence?
Source: adapted from “The Coherence Premium,” by Paul Leinwand and Cesare Mainardi, Harvard Business Review, June 2010
Subject: Strategy Questions