So, do you have what it takes to be a speed leader? Does the candidate whose resume you’re holding have what it takes? Unfortunately, identifying such leaders is not an exact science, but here are a few things to look for:
Do you Thrive in Messiness?
- Do you have an insatiable curiosity?
- Do you love to experiment (in food, reading material, entertainment, travel)?
- Do you keep yourself in good shape mentally and physically?
- Do you maintain extensive and diverse social and intellectual networks?
- Have you failed and recovered?
- Do you catch and exploit anomalies?
Do you Lead with a Light Hand?
- Do you have the ability to rapidly assess situations and make decisions as a team member and as an individual?
- Do you have strong convictions and can you explain them to others?
- Do you listen to others, draw them out, and search for their convictions and passions?
- Are you comfortable talking about values?
- Do you love to lead but know how to follow?
Can you Arrest Time?
- Can you both absorb an enormous variety of inputs and selectively respond?
- Are you a first-class observer of trends, of social and physical cues, of changes in the environment?
- Do you maintain calm in the face of confusion?
- Are you aware of your impact on others?
- Are you dedicated to practice?
Speed Leading: Qualities of Successful Leaders in the Digital Age
by Robert J. Thomas
Accenture, Research Note, May 5, 2001