Ram Charan and Julie Schlosser recommend the best questions every board member and shareholder should ask to get to the heart of what they should know about a company. Ten disarmingly simple questions. “so simple in fact, that we often forget to – or are embarrassed to – ask them.”
- How does the company make money?
- Are our customers paying up?
- What could really hurt – or kill – the company in the next few years?
- How are we doing relative to our competitors?
- If the CEO were hit by a bus tomorrow, who could run this company?
- How are we going to grow?
- Are we living within our means?
- How much does the CEO get paid? (Maybe not in an interview!!!)
- How does bad news get to the top?
- Do I understand the answers to questions 1 through 9?
Source: Ten Questions Every Board Member Should Ask / Ram Charan and Julie Schlosser / Fortune