Companies operating in emerging countries need to answer some basic questions if they aim to consistently thrive, and not only survive, in this type of environment:
- How can we operate with a business plan founded on tools and assumptions designed for more stable environments?
- How can we make more structured decisions under high levels of environmental uncertainty?
- How can we anticipate the future in order to build our strategies around the possible scenarios?
- How can we effectively monitor the environment to preemptively adapt to the changes?
- What principles and tools can we learn and adopt for future rounds of business planning?
Contingent Capitalism: Planning and Decision Making in Emerging Markets
by Bernardo S. Sichel
Prism, Issue 1, 2003