Not sure how to individualize recognition? Just ask your employees questions like these:
- By what name do you like to be called?
- What are your “hot buttons” — hobbies or interests you like to talk about a lot?
- What increases your positive emotion or “fills your bucket” the most?
- From whom do you most like to receive recognition or praise?
- What type of recognition or praise do you like best? Do you like public, private, written, verbal, or other kinds of recognition?
- What form of recognition motivates you the most? Do you like gift certificates, a title for winning a competition, a meaningful note or e-mail, or something else?
- What is the greatest recognition you have ever received?
The Best Ways to Recognize Employees
by Tom Rath
Gallup Management Journal, December 2004
Subject: Human Resources Questions